Sunday, June 26, 2011

The stump is gone, bring on the bids!

This week was such a satisfying experience. As part of his help with digging out for a new retaining wall along our south property line, Mark got a big, heavy, old stump loose and ready to go. It was too big to lift and I couldn't see how I would get it loaded to take to the dump.

So I fretted about it, and came up with one failed way after another. I really didn't want to ask Steve, Dave or Eric to join a difficult effort to lift it into the truck, so I kept thinking.

Then it struck me. The same cargo straps I have could be used to pull it into the wheelbarrow. I hooked one aroung the wheelbarrow handel, wrapped it around the stump, and then hooked the other end to the other handle. Then I tighted it up and pulled. And pulled, and the third time, with my full weight in the air, it finally pivoted up and will a delicate coaching to avoid falling to the side (well, actually it did fall over to the side twice, but on the third time...) it was there, sitting comfortably in the wheelbarrow.



Now, how to get it up into the truck. My last attempt at a ramp with a furniture dolly was a failure and I am glad there were no witnesses or cameras present. This time I noticed an old piece of weathered plywood in the back behind the shed and the light came on. I took it and reinforced it with three scrap 2x4's and I had a substantial ramp. Next I positioned the truck for the lift, but the ramp angle was too steep and I couldn't push the load up. So, I thought, I really don't need to get the wheelbarrow into the truck, just the stump. And if I get the lip of the wheelbarrow up over the tailgate of the truck, it might be high enough. So I set the ramp on some concrete blocks and tried again. The wheelbarrow rolled right up and the stump lifted out and into the truck. I could hardly believe it was done, and how easy it was.

Well, with that hurdle accomplished, I finished loading up the truck and happily went to the dump.

I then prepared a little plan for our project and have had several contractors over to review the work and prepare bids for us. With any luck, we will have a new driveway yet!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And they wonder how the Ancients ever built Stonehenge...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow; well done! I can't wait to see the whole project finished.

    ReplyDelete